Professor Alexandre Mottrie MD PhD graduated in 1988 from the School of Medicine at the Catholic University of Leuven, Belgium. He completed his residency in Urology in 1994 at the Johannes Gutenberg University of Mainz, Germany where he was a Staff Member till 1996. Afterwards, he served as a Fellow in Washington University St.-Louis, Missouri, U.S.A. for six months to improve his laparoscopic skills. Since 1996, he is Urologist in the O.L.V.-Clinic in Aalst, Belgium. On December 5 2011, he successfully defended his Ph.D. in the University of Saarland, Homburg-Saar, Germany.
His major interests are urological oncology and minimal invasive surgery. He is a pioneer in robotic surgery and started this type of surgery in 2001. He developed different procedures in robotic surgery. At his department, he started laparoscopic and robotic surgery to become training center in this field. He trained numerous colleagues from all over Europe and beyond in the field of robotic surgery. With over 4000 robotic procedures, he has one of the largest experiences in that field.
In 2010, Prof. Mottrie founded the ORSI-Academy, an innovation center in robotic and minimal-invasive surgery. As CEO, he is doing basic research on improving training and education in surgery.
Prof. Mottrie is scientifically very involved. He has authored multiple scientific papers and organised several international Congresses and Masterclasses in these fields. He has been actively involved in multiple congresses by performing live-surgery, giving courses and/or presenting state-of-the-art lectures. He is the Scientific Director of the ERUS-congresses. Actually, he is the president of the EAU Robotic Urology Section (ERUS), former president of the Society of Robotic Surgeons (SRS) and the past-president of the Belgian Laparoscopic Urology Group (BLUG). He is the actual Editor of the Surgery-in-Motion Section of European Urology.
He is Associate Professor in the Universität des Saarlandes Homburg-Saar (Germany) and the University of Ghent (Belgium). He received the “Golden Telescope Award” at the Hamlyn Symposium of the Imperial College in London (20/06/2015) and the “Saint-Pauls’ medal” from BAUS in Glasgow (25/06/2019) for lifetime achievements in the robotic field.
- Member of “European Association of Urology” (E.A.U.)
- Member of “Deutsche Gesellshaft für Urologie” (D.G.U.)
- Member of “Belgische Vereniging voor Urologie” (B.V.U.)
- Founding Member and Past President of the “Society of Robotic Surgeons” (S.R.S.)
- Past President of “Belgian Laparoscopic Urology Group” (B.L.U.G.)
- Corresponding member of the “Südwestdeutsche Gesellschaft für Urologie”
- President of the “EAU Robotic Urology Section” (ERUS)
- Board member of “European School of Urology” (ESU)
- CEO of the “ORSI-Academy”
- Editorof the section “Surgery-in-Motion” of European Urology
- Editor of Surgery-in-Motion School
- Organisation of congresses and meetings, participant as an expert and/or live surgery
- Organisation of “European Robotic Urology Symposium” as Scientific Director
- Organisation of “Global Congress on Prostate Cancer” as Scientific Director
- Expert and trainer (proctoring) in laparoscopic and robot-assisted surgery
- Original publications : 228 peer-reviewed articles (dd 1/2/2020)
- Numerous presentations
- Numerous live surgeries